Tuesday, 17th July 2012
GHA report: 60% of Gib population are overweight – Cortes to lead by example
No less than 60% of the local population are overweight according to the findings of a local report on healthy living that will be made public by the Gibraltar Health Authority later today.
Reacting to the report, Minister for Health John Cortes who has acknowledged not leading a healthy lifestyle, has vowed to reach a level of weight and fitness that reflects a healthier lifestyle.
A GHA spokesman said: “At today’s meeting of the Gibraltar Health Authority, the report by Dr Vijay Kumar, the Director of Public Health, will outline some of the major findings of Gibraltar’s first-ever Health and Lifestyle Survey. The data became available last year and has now been professionally analysed.
Dr Kumar’s report is expected to announce that:
• 60% of Gibraltar’s population are Overweight or Obese
• 42% of Gibraltarians who are overweight are unaware that they are overweight
• 75% of men aged 45+ are overweight
• 75% of Gibraltar people do not eat 5 or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day – a significantly worse figure than in England & Wales.
• 29% of the population are smokers – a much higher figure than in England and Wales
• 31% of young people binge drink at least once a week.
Minister for Health
Dr Cortes said: “I am very conscious that my own lifestyle is not ideal. So I have committed myself to reaching a weight and level of fitness which, with the advice of professionals, will be a reflection of a healthy lifestyle.”
A GHA statement added: “Also at the meeting, the GHA is expected to confirm that this year has seen a four-fold increase in the equipment budget and that two potential providers have been identified for courses of IVF treatment during the course of the tender process.
“It will also be reported that excellent feedback has been received from the MOD in regard to the quality of care received by MOD personnel. The Authority will be updated on a range of subjects, including the new Mental Health Facility, Seniors’ Healthcare Services and renovations at KGV.
“The meeting in the Charles Hunt Room at the John Mackintosh Hall at 2.30pm on Tuesday 17 July, is open to the public.”