Nominees announced for Cultural Awards
Gibraltar Cultural Services, on behalf of the Ministry of Culture, has announced the nominees for the new Cultural Awards. The Awards are aimed at celebrating the best of Gibraltar’s arts and culture.
These awards will recognise cultural potential, ability, talent and achievement supporting the community’s cultural development.
The nomination process closed on August 30 2019, with a Cultural Awards Board, comprised of Alice Mascarenhas, Peter Canessa, Keri Scott, Peter Montegriffo QC, Yvette Zarb and Seamus Byrne, considering all nominations and thereafter, deciding on a final shortlist in each category.
The shortlist is based on performances and events from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.
Next month, GCS Cultural Development Unit will open the nominations to public voting, with the support of Gibtelecom, who will be providing the telephone numbers.
The general public are encouraged to vote for their preferred nominee. The calls will raise funds for the GBC Open Day.
The final shortlist is as follows:
1. JULIAN FELICE – Published playwright, teacher, Gib Talks
2. MARK SANCHEZ – Writer and lecturer, promoting Gibraltarian identity
3. FRANCIS GOMILA – Berlin and Gibraltar Art Residency/ Exchange
4. YAN DELGADO – BrightMed Festival, creator and producer
JUNIOR (Under 12’s)
1. GOVERNOR’S MEADOW SCHOOL – ‘Family Ties’ art project as a result of visit to GEMA
2. MEI LIU – 2019 Drama Festival Best Youth Actress
3. MIA HOOK – 2018 Bookmark Competition Overall Winner (adult and junior categories)
4. ANNA JIMENEZ – Sussex Award at the Gibraltar International Dance Festival 2019, and Bronze Medal at Dance World Cup, Gibraltar National Team Modern Group
YOUTH (Under 25’s)
1. MATTHEW NAVAS – 2019 Drama Festival Best Youth Actor, Youth Choir member
2. GIBRALTAR YOUTH CHOIR – 2018/2019 performances in local shows and cruise ships and European Choir Games preparation
3. NICKY VATVANI – Performing Arts, selected for prestigious International Theatre School in Paris
4. DARIUS OLIVA – Pianist, Gibraltar Young Musician Of The Year
SENIOR (Over 25’s)
1. PAUL COSQUIERI – Royal Academy Summer Show and numerous other exhibitions and
2. MONICA RITCHIE – 2019 Drama Festival Best Actress
3. SANTOS PRODUCTIONS LLANITO CAST – For performance in Llanito novela, Pavana Crest
4. SIMON BOLLAND – West End performer, touring with Fame
1. SPACE 92
2. THE KASBAR
3. THE MAGAZINE STUDIO THEATRE
4. GEMA, Montagu Bastion
BEST EDUCATIONAL PROJECT
1. I AM ME – GAMPA, collaborative choir piece with all schools, addressing issues of self-esteem and confidence building
2. ISLAND GAMES ART RESIDENCY – the week multi-media project involving international and Gibraltar artists
3. GUSTAVO BACARISAS STREET ART MURALS – Project by Ronnie Alecio and Juup bringing the artists’ work to life on Castle Street
4. BRIGHTMED and GIBRALTAR WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL - three day event with musicians, artists, and thinkers interpreting theme ‘Chaos’, Street Festival, talks, Concert
There will be two extra awards: the GCS Award For Extraordinary Achievement and the Ministry of Culture Lifetime Achievement Award which have already been decided by the Board and will be announced at the awards ceremony together with the rest of the winners in each category. The Awards ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday, December 4 2019 at the Sunborn Hotel.