Gibraltar Chronicle Logo
Local News

Gibraltarian man dies with suspected Covid-19 virus

Eyleen Gomez

The Gibraltar Government said a local man has died with suspected Covid-19.

The man, aged in his late 50s, had been self-isolating at home for three days and had been swabbed.

The results were pending but his condition worsened and he is suspected to have suffered a cardiac arrest.

If confirmed, this would Gibraltar’s first death linked to the virus.

The government said the man had been self isolating at home after calling 111 three days ago.

He called again on Wednesday night at approximately 11.45pm to say he was suffering from shortness of breath, which is a symptom of Covid-19. An ambulance was despatched.

On arrival, he was found by paramedics to be suffering from cardiac arrest.

Attempts to resuscitate at home and at A&E were unsuccessful.

The government said symptoms suggest that this death may have been Covid-19 related.

It said the cause of death appeared to be a cardiac arrest, adding that a post mortem will be carried out.

“Everyone will be heartbroken to see this cruel disease may have taken its first Gibraltarian victim, although this cannot yet be confirmed,” said Chief Minister Fabian Picardo in a statement.

“I am greatly saddened to have to make this announcement.”

“We will await the results of the swab test for the deceased before we are able to confirm whether or not this is a case of a death arising from or with Covid-19 and will inform the public of the result.”

“Every citizen must observe the rules of our lock down. Social distancing is important.”

“It is designed to save lives and to support our GHA personnel so that they can take care of each of us who might need their care when we need it.”

“No matter what the cause of death may ultimately be,t he Government extends its condolences and the condolences of the People of Gibraltar to the family and friends of the deceased.”

Most Read

Features

A Royal Marine at 19

Download The App On The iOS Store