Gibraltar Chronicle Logo

Manchester 62 Faces Devastating 5-0 Defeat Against Dominant Lincoln Red Imps

Lincoln Red Imps 5-0 Manchester 62

In an intense showdown at the Victoria Stadium, Manchester 62 clashed with the defending champions, Lincoln Red Imps, in a crucial match for both teams. Manchester 62 entered the game with a mixed record, having suffered two defeats in four matches, while Lincoln Red Imps were determined to make up for four dropped points in a previous defeat to St Joseph and a draw against Bruno Magpies, their closest rivals for the title.

The game began with a disallowed goal in the first few minutes when Lee Casciaro's cross found Kike, but an infringement had already nullified the play. Just ten minutes later, Britto found himself with a clear shot but hit the post, denying Lincoln another scoring opportunity.

Manchester 62, hoping to bounce back from two consecutive losses, found themselves on the back foot early in the match. A surprising surge forward by central defender Roy Chipolina in the 14th minute resulted in a corner kick. Chipolina continued to be a force to be reckoned with, sending a perfect half-volley into the top corner for Lincoln's first goal.

Manchester responded by exerting pressure on Lincoln, marking the first significant offensive attempt in fifteen minutes. However, Lincoln regained their momentum and piled the pressure on Manchester, something they had struggled to do in their previous match against Bruno Magpies.

Lincoln Red Imps, under the command of their veteran captain Roy Chipolina, were in commanding form, pushing Manchester 62 back into their own half. It wasn't until close to the half-hour mark that Manchester 62 managed to string together a series of passes and advance into Lincoln's half. Still, Lincoln's disciplined defense and advanced positions made it challenging to break through.

The first half ended with Lincoln leading 1-0, and the game remained fiercely competitive throughout the second half. Lincoln continued to press Manchester back and had several close calls, including a blocked attempt from outside the box.

Ethan Britto suffered an injury and had to leave the pitch, affecting Lincoln's lineup. Kike missed a golden opportunity with a header that went over the bar, and moments later, he sent a powerful drive wide across the goal.

With twenty minutes remaining, Manchester 62, struggling to advance, conceded a penalty under pressure, which was converted by Walker to make it 2-0. Manchester tried to push forward and earned a corner, but their attempt was cleared by Nano with ease.

In the 87th minute, Lincoln executed a quick break down the left flank, and Marco Rosa delivered a stunning goal to make it 3-0. The relentless pressure from Lincoln resulted in two consecutive corners during injury time. Roy Chipolina's header was deflected into the net by Villacanas Morales, making it 4-0.

Two minutes later, another substitute, Kyle Clinto, tapped in a rebound after Nano's shot was saved, sealing a dominant 5-0 victory for Lincoln Red Imps. This crushing defeat left Manchester 62's hopes of challenging for top positions in disarray, marking their third consecutive loss in five matches, a far cry from the optimism that followed their big signing spree during the summer.

Most Read

Download The App On The iOS Store