Gibraltar Chronicle Logo

Manchester 62 dealt another blow to their challenge for top spots

Manchester 62 1-2 Mons Calpe

Manchester 62 suffered another setback in their quest for the top spots in the league. Their unexpected defeat at the hands of Mons Calpe on Friday dealt a blow to their aspirations.
Following their second consecutive defeat, they slipped to seventh place in the league. This came after a promising start that had them in fourth place before this match.
Despite a recent revamp, which included the signing of former English Championship player Kane Todd, Manchester 62 found themselves trailing early in the game. While they initially had possession and dominated the early minutes, Mons Calpe's energy propelled them ahead after just six minutes.
A poor clearance from the defence sent the ball to Martinez, who delivered a cross into the penalty box, where Exposito met it with a free header. Manchester 62's keeper, Cantos, rooted to his spot, could only watch as the ball sailed into the top corner.
Manchester 62's defence displayed vulnerability with risky clearances that frequently handed the ball back to their opponents. Mons Calpe gladly accepted these gifts as they continued to counter the pressure.
The situation worsened for Manchester 62 as they gifted Mons Calpe a second opportunity to extend their lead. Pushing Manchester back into their own half, a long throw-in into the penalty box led to a handball, awarding Mons Calpe a penalty. Exposito confidently stepped forward and scored Mons Calpe's second goal.
Manchester managed to take a shot that was blocked by the keeper seconds after play resumed. A rebound was collected but once again blocked, this time by a defender near the post. The ensuing corner kick saw Mons Calpe struggling to clear their area, and the clearance went across the goal, resulting in another corner that ultimately led to a wayward kick over the goal.
Manchester 62 reduced the deficit in the twenty-third minute. They continued their forward momentum, putting pressure on Mons Calpe, who struggled to clear the ball from danger areas. Chaotic marking inside the penalty box allowed Ruiz Ruiz to collect behind the defence and easily slot the ball past the keeper for Manchester's solitary goal.
Despite Mons Calpe having a player sent off with a second yellow card, Manchester 62 couldn't find an equalizer. The 2-1 defeat exposed Manchester's lack of finishing and cost them valuable points against a team that had already lost to Magpies, Lynx, and Glacis United, making them an unlikely contender for the title.
Manchester 62, who had previously beaten Glacis United and Europa Point with emphatic score lines at the start of the season, have now suffered losses to Bruno Magpies and Mons Calpe. Their next match will be against Lincoln Red Imps, the reigning league champions. This upcoming match will test Manchester 62's ability to secure a positive result and remain in contention for the top spots in the table.

Most Read

Download The App On The iOS Store