Noelle Berllaque shares her travel inspired teriyaki salmon tacos recipe
Noelle Berllaque, also known online as ‘the wandering avocado’, has been sharing her recipes on Instagram for three years.
Her delicious, colourful and healthy dishes are inspired different cultures and food from places she has visited on her travels.
Noelle’s inspiration for cooking came from a love of food and her mother has also inspired her to start cooking with traditional homemade dishes.
“I feel my travels have also inspired me, as I try foods from different countries and cultures,” she said.
“I try to recreate some dishes I have come across on my culinary journey with my own flare.”
She began sharing her recipes on Instagram around three years ago as a great way to share her cooking experiences with other people.
“Sharing my recipes on this platform has allowed me to share with people with similar interests, as well as discover new recipes from others. I feel this inspires me to try new ingredients in new ways.”
Today she is sharing one of her favourite dishes teriyaki salmon tacos, a twist on the Mexican recipe.
“I love this dish because it is a fun and healthy dish which reminds me of summer and is full of flavour,” she said.
“Not forgetting to mention that it also puts a wide smile on my fiancée’s face.”
For Noelle, some of her best memories definitely started in the kitchen, especially when she had family and friends over for a dinner party or any other special occasion.
“The best part for me about cooking homemade food is when I’ve successfully mastered the perfect recipe, after experimenting with different ingredients and it tastes absolutely delicious,” she said.
“Also love that food brings people together and if I want people to enjoy my food, I make sure to deliver.”
“There is no better feeling.”
“Nevertheless, my cooking skills have not always been up to scratch, I have also had my share of disastrous meals since cooking is all about trial and error. After all, practice makes perfect.”
To find more of Noelle’s tasty recipes follow her on instagram: @thewandering.avocado
Teriyaki Salmon Tacos
4 salmon fillets
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp ginger minced
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/8 cup of water
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 courgette sliced
1/2 avocado sliced
(Interesting hack - To not waste the other half, squeeze lemon juice over the avocado, cover with cling film and place in the fridge. It will remain green and fresh till the next day!)
Handful arugula leaves
Corn tortillas (you can use flour as well)
Black sesame seeds for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200c. Add garlic, ginger, sou sauce, 1/8 cup water, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil to a medium sized bowl and combine.
2. Place the salmon fillets into the bowl and cover with cling film (make sure to wash the fish and pat dry beforehand) and marinate in the fridge for 30minutes to 1 hour.
3. Once the salmon has finished marinating, place it skin side down on foil in an oven proof baking dish and leave aside.
4. In a separate oven proof baking dish, add the chopped red bell pepper and sliced courgette, drizzling some olive oil over the top.
5. Transfer both baking dishes into the oven and roast the salmon and vegetables for 15 to 20minutes, till the centre of the salmon is opaque and vegetables are cooked.
6. Remove the salmon and place on a board skin side up, allow to cool a little and peel off and discard the skin. Cut the salmon into bite sized chunks and set aside.
7. Add the corn tortillas to the oven with foil underneath for 2 to 3 minutes to warm throughout.
8. Place the tortillas on a plate and add a handful of arugula for the base, the roasted courgette and red peppers. Add the flaked salmon chunks and sliced avocado and sprinkle some black sesame seeds for a little garnish. There you have it, it is ready to serve. Bon appetit!