Gibraltar Chronicle Logo

Tight contest between Lynx and College 1975 sees College come away with the three points

Lynx 2-3 College 1975

Arguably the most tightly contested match of the weekend, Lynx and College 1975 provided entertainment at the Victoria Stadium on a blustery, rainy day.

The game began with a well-balanced start, with an intense midfield battle. The windy conditions affected the trajectory of the ball, making it somewhat challenging for the players.

Although Lynx had the early chances and appeared to be taking control of the match, there was little to separate the two sides. Lynx eventually broke the deadlock in the 26th minute through Cruz Perez. They earned another throw-in, which was expected to be taken long, but they made the decision to play it short. The ball was floated behind the defenders, and from a very tight angle, Perez squeezed the ball between the keeper and the post to score the first goal.

College 1975 did not sit back but immediately went on the offensive, pressing high. A chase for the ball forced Smirnov into a foul, resulting in a direct red card and conceding a free-kick at the edge of the box. With Lynx down to ten men, College 1975 capitalized on the free-kick. A thunderous strike from Vinet beat Avellano, who could only get a touch to the ball but couldn't push it around the post.

The tense final quarter of the first half, during which College 1975 tried to take advantage of their numerical superiority, did not result in any further goals.

Lynx came out fighting in the second half, creating early chances despite playing with ten men. However, against the run of play, Bartkowiak broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute. As Lynx tired and shifted into a defensive posture, College 1975 pressed their defense. A ball into the goalmouth saw Avellano palm it away, but it landed at the feet of Bartowiak, who simply tapped it in.

Lynx wasted no time in searching for an equalizer and pushed forward. They leveled the score with McCarthy being forced into a challenge inside the penalty area, resulting in a penalty. McCarthy received his second yellow card and was sent off. Lynx equalized from the penalty spot with Flynn scoring.

With less than twenty minutes left to play and both teams level on the scoresheet and with the same number of players, the game was wide open. The ten vs. ten action for the next twenty minutes saw intensity on the pitch as both sides pressed for the winning goal.

College 1975 scored the winning goal with eleven minutes left on the clock. Bartkowiak completed what was perhaps the easiest brace of his career. A ball from the byline saw Bartkowiak rise to flick the ball across goal, unchallenged by the two defenders next to him who failed to jump as the ball came in.

Lynx searched for the equalizer but found themselves having to chase back to defend against quick counters. Neither side found the net again, and with eight minutes of injury time and both teams tiring, the game became more open. Lynx dominated possession as they sought the equalizer but couldn't find the goal.

Both Lynx and College 1975 now have nine points, although Lynx has played an extra match and suffered a defeat against what seems to be one of their closest rivals.

Most Read

Download The App On The iOS Store