BREAKING NEWS

Baby and toddler among four found dead

Today

A baby girl and a toddler are among four members of a family found dead in a flat on Boschetti’s steps today, the Royal Gibraltar Police has confirmed.
The baby was just six weeks old and the toddler, also a girl, four years old. Both were Spanish.
A 31-year old British male and a 37-year old Spanish woman were also found in the flat.
Police have not revealed the names of the family and said they were in the process of contacting close relatives.
A murder investigation is under way but police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident, suggesting the deaths may have been carried out by one of the adults.
There were unconfirmed reports that the deceased females had been stabbed, but police Commissioner Eddie Yome declined to comment on the cause of death, saying it would be speculation at this stage.
“These are unexplained deaths but they are not of natural causes,” he told reporters at a press conference.
“At this moment in time, we are not looking for anybody else.”
Two Home Office pathologists – one of them specialised in cases involving in children - will fly to Gibraltar tomorrow and conduct post mortems on the bodies.

Gibraltar at Oxford literary event

Today

Samantha Sacramento, the Minister for Tourism, has attended the FT Weekend Oxford Literary Festival.
Minister Licudi, Minister for Education, who was in Oxford for meetings with Oxford Brookes University in connection with the University of Gibraltar, also attended the Festival.
Ms Sacramento introduced the Gibraltar Lecture that took place on March 25.

Bulk of ‘Rocca report’ priorities have been implemented - GHA chief

Today - by Dominique Searle

The cataclysmic report by medical consultants into the death of Keith Rocca in 2004 prompted an unprecedented review of the systems and training at St Bernard’s Hospital, such that over 90% of the recommendations and issues raised have been addressed and remain under review.
This was confirmed by the organisation’s Chief Executive Freddie Pitto who revisited the report and responded to the Chronicle request to confirm to readers that the probe in to Mr Rocca’s death had been heeded.
The remarks come as the GHA teams have just put the final touches to the organisation’s three year strategy and the Government prepares to take a £101 million health budget to the Gibraltar Parliament this summer.

MORE IN OUR PRINT AND E-EDITIONS
 

Bula dismissal appeal on Wednesday

Today - by Mark Viales

 Allen Bula, former Head Coach of the Gibraltar National Side, will have his appeal against dismissal by the Gibraltar FA heard on Wednesday. Paul Lyon, Vice President of the Gibraltar FA, told the Chronicle that he has been asked to handle the appeal.

MORE IN OUR PRINT AND E-EDITIONS

Labour ‘misunderstands’ offshore jurisdictions

Today - by Cristina Cavilla

The managing partner of a leading Isle of Man law firm has said that Labour leader Ed Miliband “misunderstands completely” what offshore jurisdictions do.
Tom Maher is managing partner of DQ in the Isle of Man where he oversees the firm’s specialist investigation team.
He was one of the hosts of the Global Tax Enforcement Conference recently held in Gibraltar - a repeat of a ‘landmark’ day-long conference on global tax enforcement held in the Isle of Man last July.

LAND OF THE BRAVE

Saturday, 28th March 2015

The Gibraltar national football side is pictured at their training facility at Glasgow University in Scotland yesterday as the build-up for the clash against the ‘Tartan Army’ on Sunday at 6pm gathers pace. The side flew to the UK on Thursday afternoon and David Wilson, the Interim Head Coach, has not wasted any time in putting the squad through a vigorous session. He said the squad are keeping ‘level headed’ for the big match and are well prepared to step out onto the huge 51,866 capacity arena that is Hampden Park. See print and e-editions for full interview with David Wilson.  

Pic by Ian Martinez

Diplomatic protest after ‘provocative and dangerous’ incursion

Saturday, 28th March 2015

Britain has protested over a ‘provocative and dangerous’ incursion by Spanish vessels into British Gibraltar territorial waters yesterday morning.
The Spanish vessel Comoran Granada, operated by the Junta de Andalucía’s Environmental Agency, approached two Spanish fishing boats that had laid pots inside British waters.

Concerns remain despite Govt assurances on bay gas transfers

Saturday, 28th March 2015

The Environmental Safety Group has voiced fresh concerns about the ship-to-ship transfer of liquefied natural gas in British waters in the Bay of Gibraltar.
Two such operations have been carried out within the past week and the Gibraltar Port Authority has signalled its intention to grow this sector.
The Gibraltar Government has insisted that the practice is well regulated and safe.
Last night it again repeated the assurance that Gibraltar is well prepared to respond to any incident, which was in any event ‘unlikely’.

Garcia highlights Gib-US links on Capitol Hill

Friday, 27th March 2015

Dr Joseph Garcia, the deputy Chief Minister, has highlighted the long and historic relationship between Gibraltar and the United States during a series of meetings in Washington.
In a busy schedule during the first day of his visit, Dr Garcia held meetings at the offices of both Democratic and Republican members of Congress on Capitol Hill.

Chief Minister sails out to observe LNG operation

Friday, 27th March 2015 - by Cristina Cavilla

The Chief Minister yesterday went to see for himself the gas carriers in British waters as they carried out Gibraltar’s second ever liquefied natural gas transhipment operation.
Fabian Picardo together with Environment Minister Dr John Cortes and Minister for the Port Paul Balban inspected the ship to ship transfer of LNG in the Bay of Gibraltar.
The trip came after the decision to allow LNG transhipment operations in Gibraltar waters had sparked concern and criticism amongst environmentalists.
Yesterday those concerns were echoed by the GSD who said: “People want assurances concerning their safety and not another photograph of the Chief Minister.”

MORE IN OUR PRINT AND E-EDITIONS 

UK in court over Gib sewage

Friday, 27th March 2015 - by Brian Reyes

Gibraltar’s failure to build a sewage treatment plant has landed the British Government in court.
Gibraltar pumps its sewage into the sea at Europa Point, in breach of EU legislation dating back to 1991.
Yesterday the European Commission announced it was referring the UK to the European Court of Justice over its failure to ensure that urban waste water was adequately treated in 17 locations, including Gibraltar. 

MORE IN OUR PRINT AND E-EDITIONS